Thursday, October 23, 2008

Oh the hypocrisy!!!

So I briefly contemplated returning to church. I even went to a new one a few weeks ago and I liked it a lot and the people. However, since then I have worked every day but two. Yes I even worked on Sundays. But you gotta do what you gotta do. My relationship with God was never ever dependent on going to church. As a matter of fact attending "church" did nothing to further it either, just made me a whole lot of disgruntled. So much so that with everything on my plate and the way I felt when I left these "churches" left me with little desire to continue seeking. I am confident with my relationship with God and spend my days to being a christian so why bother causing myself pain for the sake of appearances???

Anyway, the main reason for going to church was for TB because he really really wants to get baptized. He brought it up of his own accord and I am not going to spend the rest of this post justifying the decision to anyone.

However, here's my problem. I am fully aware that any christian (even me) can baptize my son and that it doesn't have to be in a church. BUT . . . what will happen to him way down the road when he wants to get married and stuff, will they understand it since he doesn't have a pretty little certificate from a bonafide church to back up his claim?

In my opinion they should, but hey I am also fully aware that most church going people do not feel that way. This of course, fuels my feelings of the absolute hypocrisy of many many church going people-that along with some very intolerant, cruel, judgmental and just down right crazy things from "christian leaders" that I have been reading today are really making me feel like church is just not an option for us anymore. Mostly for fear that by letting TB attend, I will be validating those very attitudes that I despise and by condoning them, he will feel it's okay to be like them.

Add to this the fact that I only want to go to church to get a happy little certificate for TB, just in case he ever needs it in the future and well it almost makes me feel like I am becoming a hypocrite myself. So I am not going to pursue it anymore. I sent a card to the church that I visited recently telling them that I liked their church but I really just don't have time to attend at this juncture, which I don't (again not going to waste my time justifying that comment either).

The crazy thing is that I think that at this church, they will understand. Too bad I hadn't gone there first.

As for the baptism, I am 100% confident that it will get done some how, some way. An opportunity always presents itself, in this I am sure.

Anyway, I gotta go, TB just told me that he wants to practice reading by reading his "God and Jesus books" . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I *think* the Catholic church is the only church to make you prove your baptism in order to get married. I was baptized in a CoC and don't have a certificate to prove it. So, as long as he doesn't want to get married in a Catholic church (you - with Catholic in-laws, bwahahaha), he's golden!