Monday, April 14, 2008

Today is Decision Day

So of course I am hiding.

The decision: to accept a therapist position at the clinic that I have spent the last 8 months interning.  I would love the job, but I also love my current job.

The pro's:  I get to keep working with my clients, I get more experience, I get more clock hours for my CAC.  I would be able to dump some of the bills that I have in order to have the current job.  Doing research (the current job) is very hands off compared to doing therapy.

The con's:  I would have to continue driving from Flint to Detroit.  I am not sure when I will get paid.  Are gas prices ever going to stop rising?  I like the job that I am working right now and am 100% certain that I will get a pay check.  Aren't I supposed to be starting a new life in Flint?

The clinic is a not-for-profit that services substance abuse clients living in the city of Detroit with no insurance.  It is funded through block grants and federal monies, all funneled through the city of Detroit which is horrible at actually sending the money that doesn't belong to them along to the appropriate people.  Hence the whole, I am not sure if I will get paid when I am supposed to.  It's not uncommon for staff members to go without for a few weeks and then get a big check.

Being that the clinic is not-for-profit, funds are tight and I do not know if they can afford to pay what I need to pay the bills and drive down here daily.  My clinical supervisor has already told the staff that I am staying, but she has not sat down and talked about the money with me yet.  I made sure to inform her the other day that it had to make financial sense for me to drive down here from Flint being a single mom and all.

Most of the full time therapists have left because of burnout and not being interested in substance abuse so just using this place until something better comes along, so they will be to the bear bones when the interns leave this week.  The people that will suffer the most are the clients.

Any wonder why I am hiding?  My heart says one thing and my head says another . . . isn't that always the case when money is involved?  Sometimes I really do wish that I didn't believe that anything is possible, being narrow-minded would come in handy once in a while.

No comments: