Monday, April 28, 2008

A Rescue Friend . . . cyber friends

Another of my rescue friends passed away yesterday.  It is sad, but again I am reminded of the difference between online friends and living, breathing flesh friends.  

It's weird, I have known her and her sister both for years online doing rescue, but I don't really know her at all.  Should I even dare call her a friend then?  

Now I am wondering once again if all the internet chats and blogs and text messages and emails and im's are worth it?  Are they bringing our world closer together?  Or, are they increasing the distance between us?  Can internet friends be considered real?

You have to hide your identity on the internet to keep it safe.  You can be whoever you want on the internet because these people will never know the real you and will never be able to hold you accountable if you lie.  You never will have to confess your secrets to these friends because they will never know if you don't.

On the other hand, it's so much easier to tell the truth through a keyboard.  There is no face to face eye contact and if you are rejected you can always pretend they didn't get it.

I am concerned because our youth are so heavily dependent on this form of networking that sometimes I wonder if they will ever know what it's like to give a supportive hug of encouragement, stand up for themselves and face their foes and just plain old make eye contact and be real with someone.  Will they lose themselves to the cyber reality that they have created for themselves? 

No comments: