Saturday, May 3, 2008

Asking for help.

UPDATE:  So this morning I had to mow the grass.  When I went out there, the neighbor was already on his riding lawn mower mowing part of my front yard.  He asked me if I minded doing the trimming around the utility pole, street sign, etc for him.  Told him not a problem, works for me.  
See, I can ACCEPT help, I just can't ASK for help :)


Not one of my strengths, not by a long shot.

I take comfort in the fact that I can do most anything that I need to, my parents raised me to be a very self sufficient person.

Typical requests for help usually fall into the realm of "I just am not physically capable of doing it myself".  I am after all-a girl.  

No there is no feminist reasoning behind my not wanting to ask for help.  It's not about conquering the world or proving that I am just as good as anyone.

Mostly it's just not something I think about.  I just do what needs to be done in the most efficient way possible and then move on.

Like I said before the roadblock usually comes when it's something heavy and sometimes when I just don't have the appropriate tools for the job.  Tools are expensive and well since I have to re-buy them all, this happens more often now than before.

So, on to the story.  There is this very nice older gentleman at the new church that asks me every Sunday morning that he sees me if I need anything, anything at all, he even specifically mentioned that if I needed help with "household" type stuff that could be arranged a few times too.  So the other week, I decided to take him up on the offer.

I have no fence here (the one and only thing I do not like about the new place) so I had to figure out what to do with the dogs.  When it got warm, I bought the cable trolley thingys for them so that they could run around and not get all tangled up in their tie outs.  My dad and uncle came up to install them because they had the post hole digger and the drill.  I bought 2 10 foot 4x4 poles and had them put those on one end and hook the other end to the house.

On the day that we met Bob, Maddie managed to pull her's out of the house.  Basically it's a big eye bolt that needs to be put back into the house.  No, I can't just screw it back into the original hole, that has been stripped by her pulling it out.  No, I can't just muscle a new hole into the wall.  No, I don't have a drill to make a new hole.  No, my dad is not going to want to spend $50 on gas to drive up here and fix it for me.

So I asked for help.  

Two days later, the nice guy from church called me to get a clearer understanding of what was needed.  I explained it to him, all the while listening to him tell me what a simple problem it was and how easy it was to accomplish and how I could probably just do it myself.  I kept trying to explain to him that I knew what needed to be done, but alas, I could not do it myself.  After listening to him argue with me for about 5 minutes about what a simple thing it was, I finally said never mind, I'll take care of it myself.  Then he got all hurt feelings and stuff and said are you sure you can do it.  I told him honestly, no-but I'll figure something else out.

Poor guy, asking for help is huge for me and if I am going to have to spend a lot of times justifying why I need to ask for help, I will just change my mind and figure something else out.  He had no idea.  How was he to know that I would run through every possible option in my head and justify it over and over before I even asked and then decide that maybe just this once I would do what I am supposed to be able to do and ask for help???

So anyway, instead of buying a drill and making a new hole, what I have decided is that if I get a slightly thicker eye bolt and use the existing hole, I should be able to screw it in myself with the aide of a screwdriver/fulcrum thus re-drilling the existing hole with the larger threads.   That is "if" my uncle actually hit the stud when he drilled the original hole.  If not, I see a new drill purchase in my future.

Wow, when I was looking up the link to Petco I just realized that they have 100 ft ones available online.  Hmmm, maybe I should get those, pull the poles out and move them and re-do the whole thing.  Then the dogs could run the whole length of the back yard.  After all, one of the poles is leaning A LOT already (again, we are NOT going to go into the reasons why).  Now I am gonna need a post hole digger and a drill.  Cool!

No comments: